Finding out that your child has autism can be overwhelming. Shock, helplessness, guilt, anger, and resentment are a few of the emotions you may experience when your child is first diagnosed with autism. Once the initial reaction has subsided, remember your child is still the same person regardless of his/her diagnosis. Your child will continue to grow and learn and you can help.
Helpful suggestions for parents:
- Seek help from other parents.
- Take it one day at a time.
- Gather information and start to learn the appropriate terminology.
- Don’t be intimidated by medical or educational professionals.
- Don’t be afraid to show emotion.
- Keep a positive outlook.
- Gather resources about effective interventions.
- Keep daily routines as normal as possible.
- Take care of yourself.
- Recognize that you are not alone.
Let us help you. We offer Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) services for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder, and our services are outlined here. We encourage you to call us directly, toll-free, at (844) 263-1613 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are based in Elmhurst, Illinois.